Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Three Strikes and I'm Out

 10.19.2011



And here we have the perfect exemplar of what NOT to do: completely burn dinner and destroy your 7 month old stainless steel pot!
I took something simple, cooking Brown Basmati Rice in organic vegetable broth, and turned it into a steamy situation - and not in a good way.   10 minutes into stove-time is all it took before I was suddenly one charred grain away from having the local fire dept. knock on our door.  

And that doesn't even include the tofu; I am not sure I am ready to talk about it.  But there was one good thing that came out of this chaos: Curry Tofu! 
This is delicious! I used olive oil, few good shakes of curry powder, little cumin, red pepper, heaping tsp. of raw organic honey, a little sea salt and pepper, and a dash of red wine vinegar.  Saute extra firm tofu in this mixture, using a very small amount (1/4-1/2 tsp.) of xantham gum to thicken sauce, if needed.

I still don't know why my rice burned and I am still kind of upset about it.  I used 1 cup of broth to 1/2 cup brown basmati rice - B says the burner was on too high...I don't know.  I will have to try that again.

Needless to say, B took over cooking the next two days after this Basmati blunder so I could get over the trauma. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP