Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

"Weighty" Commentary

 1.05.2012

Why can't people just keep their opinions and commentary to themselves.  Apparently social graces are extinct in some peoples vocabularies and worlds.


Every time I would go to my nail salon in high school and college, there was one Vietnamese girl there who would comment on my weight, EVERY time! One time, she told me "You loo teh poun mor you loo perfec," (translation: You lose ten lbs. more you look perfect.)

I almost cried and have never forgotten that comment in 10 years.  I had the chance to go back to the same nail place over the holiday break.  My hair is dark brown now (former blonde) and to most people I am hard to recognize at first glance, but wouldn't you know it, that same girl recognized me immedietly as I walked in and said "Oh you so skinnayy."  I almost died laughing.

I would like to think and at least tell myself that I have matured and refuse to let her comments bother me anymore, but I think deep down I will never EVER forget that haunting "You loo teh poun mor you loo perfec."

Didn't other peoples parents teach them "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all?" I'm sorry, but that's how I was raised people!!!!

2 comments:

Sarah February 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM  

I totally remember walking around the pool in a swim suit and my Dad saying that I was getting "thunder thighs" - I was 12 and had hit puberty really hard, I don't think I will ever like my legs! (also gives insight into why I haven't spoken to my Dad in 12 years...)

Kate February 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM  

Sarah I feel your pain. Those kind of comments never truly leave our brains. And I think to a certain extent, perhaps larger than we would like to admit, alter our perception of reality!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP