Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Cocoa and Milk Debate

 11.30.2011

I recently had this long conversation with my mother about the difference between "Cacao" and "Cocoa."  Although the two varieties seem similar at first glance, the word "cocoa" is actually a derivative of "cacao." Both are commonly interchanged, however there is a difference that you may not have picked up.


 
Cacao comes straight from the cacao bean, in its raw form.  **P.S. It's also more expensive...about $13.00 for a bag of Raw Cacao Powder.

Cocoa, on the other hand, is the highly processed ingredient present in hot cocoa or hot chocolate (in powder form) after it has undergone extensive processing.

Nutritional hints regarding the benefits and research regarding cacao vs. cocoa:

"Prolonged intake of flavanol-rich cocoa has been linked to cardiovascular health benefits, though it should be noted that this refers to raw cocoa (from the Cacao plant seed) and to a lesser extent, dark chocolate, since flavonoids degrade during cooking and alkalizing processes.  Studies have found short term benefits in LDL cholesterol levels from dark chocolate consumption. The addition of whole milk to milk chocolate reduces the overall cocoa content per ounce while increasing saturated fat levels, possibly negating some of cocoa's heart-healthy potential benefits."1

Which leads me to my next topic: whole milk.  I would think by now, with all the documentaries like Forks Over Knives, Ingredients, etc., most people would jump on the bandwagon by realizing that the whole "Got Milk" campaign, while attractive and enticingly creative, is a bunch of BS.  (I need to remind you of my disclaimer right about now, I don't want the milk people coming after me.)

Anyhow, it is no big secret that cows milk is a highly processed, casein filled beverage that does more harm to our bodies than good.  And they just don't make it now-a-days like they used to in the 'ol days either, which only adds insult to injury. 

Even still, consumers have been programmed like robots to assume as fact that milk "Does a Body Good," right? And that those funny cows on the commercials are gleefully grazing mammals pumping milk straight from their udders to your icy glass and foamy mustache.  I mean, if Heidi Klum and Usher drink it, then it must be pure quality goodness.  They successfully have brainwashed consumers to believe whole-heartedly that we need our precious milk to obtain proper calcium for our bones and stay strong and healthy.  Wrong!  Milk is not processed by human digestive systems well at all, even those who are not lactose intolerant.  And there is more calcium in fresh vegetables and other organic whole foods than in milk, which don't contain dangerous hormone-induced additives!

People seem to get very defensive about this subject, as they do with the topic of eating meat.  I know, I live with a man.  He loves his milk, meat, and potatoes, and no one is going to tell him otherwise.  Except, over the past few months as I have been making changes to my diet, he has been making sutle changes here and there as well.  Not only has he lost 17 lbs, but he feels better and has more energy.  Every now and again B will go out and have a burger, when his late night In-n-Out cravings call! And that's ok!

But honestly, my unilateral decision to replace the almond milk in our fridge (where I once used to buy 2% for him, and almond milk for me), has never been contested! Also, I even bought soy nog this year, the rice nog was nothing like the EggNog we grew up loving.  I wish they would come out with an almond nog! I think I am going to try to make my own using the Vitamix.  Any excuse to utilize my new favorite kitchen accessory, my nut mylk bag!

Cheers!

1 comments:

Fab Housewife December 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM  

I love the lesson here on Cocao vs. Cacao. I didn't even know there was a difference. Thanks for sharing! Also, great idea on the Almond Nog. I'd be all about it!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP