Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I Got it Right...or so I thought...

 9.21.2011

Do you ever have those days, or days that turn into the nights, where you just canNOT seem to do anything right? Or is it just me? Ok, well, allow me to explain why the past two nights, my sweet husband has taken it upon himself to be the chef for our eveing meals.

Let me lay out the procedural history first, as any lawyer would when briefing the Court or Client:

It all started Monday morning; I had a doctor appointment in the AM which didn't go that well - and what I mean but that is, it is never a good sign when your mother actually gets up and leaves the room mid-visit, and then, the doctor actually leaves the room promising to return, but then never does.  True story.

Then I drove 50+ miles to work, 40+ miles to Trader Joe's after work to pick up items that are way too expensive to get at Mother's (side note: don't you just love how you have to go to at least THREE grocery stores to get all the damn food for two people to eat healthy for a week?)

After TJ's I sped home, exhausted.  I lugges the bags up the stairs, unpacked all the groceries and put them in the fridge, and then began cooking right away.  When I had last left B, it was after the doctor appointment where he said he would be home for dinner around 8:30pm.  So I had about an hour.  I was excited to get going on a tasty meal that he could come home to.  I decided on flavorful quinoa and a raw veggie mix.  I also thought I'd heat up the breast of chicken leftover in the ziplock baggie in the fridge from, oh I don't know, about a week ago for B.

I boiled 2 cups organic chicken broth on the stove, poured a cup of quinoa in it, along with some chopped onions, minced garlic cloves, and let it cook.  To my utter glee, when I lifted the pan lid, I saw beautiful fluffy quinoa flakes, light and steamy.  I was so excited because this was the first time I had ever successfully cooked quinoa (despite numerous previous attempts which shall remain a mystery).  I ground some Himalayan salt into the pan and fluffed.

As for the raw veggie mix, I chopped cucombers, mushrooms, and added 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. fresh salsa,  ground pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.

The chicken, I must admit, was a bit of an afterthought, hence the plastic looking overlay of over-broiled and then cooled cheese shown in Exhibit A to the right.

See, 8:30 came and went, and before I knew it, I had eaten the quinoa and veggies, nearly fallen asleep 3 times on the couch, and around 9:45 B walked in.  I told him his dinner was warming in the oven - and had been for an hour.  He said it smelled good.  I was grateful for that compliment.  THen he sat down, ate one, maybe two bites, and started packing up his plate in a leftover container. 

I put my hand on my hip and said, "Um - exauuuuuuse me? What are you doing? You don't like it?"
Response: Is this the chicken from a week ago?
"Yea."
Is it still good?
"I don't knowww! Why arent you eating the dinner I slaved over for you?! I am so tired! Why do I even bother trying to cook if you aren't even going to eat it!
I'm not hungry! I had a few beers.  I love it though babe and I'll have it for lunch tomorrow (sans chicken which was now face down in the trash)
"I'm glad you had a nice barley and hops nutritional and well -balanced meal!"  I proceeded to slump off to the bathroom for a bath to calm my fuming nerves. 

It only took 2 days later for me to get the truth.  The next day, when I got home from work I discovered the container of quinoa still in the fridge.  I looked at B and asked him point blank - what did you have for lunch today, and then darted between him, container, him, container, until he finally confessed "Ok I didn't like it!"

And therein lies the story for why B has been cooking the past two nights.  And can I just say, what a fantastic cook that little gipper is? I will post his fantastic RAW and gluten free Vegan meals tomorrow.


And on another note, I have been recently hearing and reading a lot about the benefits of Himalayan salt.  Also, the girl at the supplement counter at Mother's Market tonight was going on and on about how important the acidity and alkalinity in our bodies is and how it can affect inflammation .  I stood there trying to determine what cold water fish variety I wanted (Cod Liver, Krill, Salmon, etc) and half listened to her probing me for answers about whether I had ever tested my pH. 

However, in my ever persistent and cyclical jounrey to achieve balance and wellness in an anti-inlammatory body, I listened to her advice and pointers regarding supplements and vowed to go home and research. Turns out, my pink Himalayan salt I just started using can have an affect on acidity and alkalinity! AH - my mind hurts at all this supplemental crap!

Watch this video if you want to learn more about acid/alkaline balance in the body, and this guy has plenty more on YouTube if you fancy him.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP