Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes, Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting

 8.14.2011


Over the weekend we had a family BBQ...great food, even better conversation.  I brought dessert, naturally, because I up until last week when the anti-sugar bomb was dropped on me, I have managed to live my days gleefully as a functioning sugar-hoic, blissfully ignorant in my dysfunctional saccharine relationship.

But now, I am trying to feed my hubby and myself non-artifical sugary confections. And while there are a lot of great recipes available out there, you never know how they are going to turn out.  If you have ever boughten store-packaged sugar free cookies - you have probably experienced the disappointment as you crunch down on a cardboard crumble.  So I am determined to make good tasting desserts, so I can continue to love baking, but just with less bad stuff.  I started with Bob's Red Mill Mix, the next one I try will be all from scratch, but this mix was a good start.  And let's be honest, I don't have all dang day!


These are the gluten-free chocolate cupcakes...I used half the batter for cupcakes, and half for a loaf cake.

Topped with sugar free frosting and organic coconut flakes.

Here's the recipe I used....


Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

Makes enough to frost 18 mini cupcakes or a large 13 x 9 inch cake 

8 ounces light (Neufchatel) cream cheese, at room temperature 
1 tablespoon agave nectar 
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Packet of SweetLeaf (or few drops of liquid Stevia)
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream

Whip cream cheese, vanilla, agave, and salt with electric mixer until smooth and light. 

In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream until fairly stiff and the cream takes shape
Stir 1⁄4 of whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Gently fold remaining whipped cream into Neufchatel cheese mixture until combined. Can be made one day ahead. Refrigerate until ready to use. 

Tip: Put mixing bowl and beaters that you're going to use to whip the heavy cream in the freezer for 10 minutes before using them. The chilled bowl and beaters will help the cream to whip properly. Also, make sure that your cupcakes have cooled completely before icing them.

I modified the recipe from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.




I also made a yellow cake, non gluten free, for those who prefer conventinal baking.   also wanted to see how the cakes compared.  A lot of people did love the yellow cake (with cream cheese frosting from my mom - which is AMAZING - I will post tomorrow)
But the chocolate also had a lot of fans! It turned out really good!


 Just a little BBQ fun! Would he dare? Did he or didn't he???

 Beautiful spread for burger toppings.

Yay for cupcakes!

1 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards August 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

Came through perfect! Thanks for submitting and feel free to post any of your back stock as well as make us a habit when you post something new!

here is your permanent recipe page with all your submissions collected...

http://erecipecards.com/account/userrecipes.php?id=459

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP