Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Seared Ego.

 8.31.2011

You know that feeling you get when you work really hard to be creative and serve a great new dinner recipe?
  When you taste the first bite of a completely home made meal and you are actually surprised at how good it tastes? 
Complete satisfaction.  
Complete Pride.

This new dinner I put together tonight gave me that satisfaction. And naturally, the only thing better than approval from my own overly-critical self is the approval of my better half, the one for whom I created this exquisite meal.  I mean, if not for him, I would have been good with a bowl of vanilla crunch sunrise.

Well, the approval I desperately sought unfortunately never came.  

My enthusiasm died when B finally sat down after finishing the quinoa pasta.  He took a long time to cut that damn steak.  And finally, after a long-awated first bite, I read apathy all over his face. 

He said, hesitantly, eye-brows raised in posed appreciation, "It's really good!"
I hung my head low, then further pried.  I didn't understand why he wasn't more excited.  He went on to explain, knowing he couldn't fool me into believing he was as in love with the meal as I was, that he plain just doesn't like raw fish.  

Forgive me, but I have gone on many a sushi date with this man! 
I was confused.  
I asked him what he meant, and he explained that when we do sake/sushi dates, he always gets the cut rolls and that I am the one who gets the seared ahi each time.  
Crap.  He had a point.
But he didn't stop there; he further tried to soothe my now seared-ego by explaining he didn't finish the other 3/4 of his dinner because his stomach is shrinking from the "healthy eating."

He is probably right.  But still, it sucks.  But I know we all have different tastes.  And sometimes it is hard to please two completely sets of taste buds!  But for those of you who do appreciate a good seared-ahi, the recipe is below! Word to the wise, make sure your special someone also likes fish in the raw :)





Ingredients:

2 tuna steaks, 
1 avocado
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, 
2 tablespoons of peeled chopped/minced fresh ginger, 
2 garlic cloves, minced, 
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice, 
1/3 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos Soy Sauce Substitute, 
1/4 white onion, chopped, 
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 
1 tbsp. Xantham Gum
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

10 minutes to make:

Mix olive oil, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, cilantro and ginger in a bowl.

Heat pan on high for a minute, add 2 tbsp. extra Virgin olive oil, garlic and onion and heat for a minute.
Sprinkle salt and pepper on tuna steaks, then sear for 1 minute on each side, remove, and place tuna on plate.

Add sauce mixture from bowl to pan on stove with the onions and garlic in it that you used to sear the ahi.
Add Xantham gum and mix until sauce thickens.
Top steak with sauce and sliced avocados.



1 comments:

Kate August 31, 2011 at 11:21 PM  

I'm sorry for your seared ego, I love you for making such an exquisite dinner. It really was wonderful, just outside of my food meter :(

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP