Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 7.26.2011

How many women, I wonder, do more than 4 things while driving...I mean, these days, with social media, Twitter, Facebook, cell phones, Ipads, Ipods, Tablets, Books on Tab, Blackberrys, Bluetooth....I could go on but you get the picture.

This is what my usual morning commute looks like, coffee, toast or waffle (or donut if it's that kind of morning), make up, checking Blackberry, making phone calls, and sometimes even finishing getting dressed.

Oh, and always primping the eyebrows, the visor mirror is like one of the fun house mirrors.  I could stare at those furry frames for hours at home, and then BAM, as soon as I get into the car, and pull that grey visor down, all of a sudden I am a sasquatch.


These days, everyone is multi-tasking and I think it's getting the better of us.  I do not advocate this kind of behavior, in fact, I embrace the "art of doing nothing," and wish Americans knew how to do more of that.  When I studied in Salzburg, Austria, my girlfriend and I would walk to a cafe in the morning, grab a croissant and a cappuccino, stroll down the cobblestone street to class.  Then we would grab a glass of wine, or beer, and a pizza at a side street cafe, and lunch and people watch for an hour to two.  The waiters hardly come by to ask how the food is.  Not because they are rude, but because they don't assume everyone is in a full on steam blowing hurry!

Ah.  The sweet life: knowing how to appreciate the art of doing nothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP